Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

PDO


So today we had our PDO (pre departure orientation), and it lasted roughly 10 hours. We are all staying at the Embassy Suites and walked over to the American Councils Office for it. We sat in the conference room during the orientation, and it was nice because when we walked into the room, a folder, papers, a notepad, and a pen were there for our use. Our program manager and officers discussed about what to expect, our schedule, how the overall program will work, how to be successful during our time in China, the normal behaviors of people there, health, safety, and many other fun topics. They said not to eat any of the street foods and also not to eat any cold foods (like salads). We were informed that 80% of us will probably get diarrhea and/or vomit since our stomachs aren't used to having food there. Our schedules are packed: four hours of language learning, cultural activities, at least 2 hours of homework each day, exams every week, tests to check our progress, projects, excursion homework, and all sorts of other things on top of that. I'm also going to make much room to spend time with my host family and explore the city to get a sense of the culture and the people there. Not only that, but I have summer reading from my school for English honors. I just hope I'll be able to improve my Mandarin so that I can speak to and understand my viola teacher more.

At the end of the day, we received t-shirts, and it's American Apparel! The fabric is soft and the color is like a mint green. Everyone began to use the t-shirts as a blanket because it was freezing in the room! (including me). I highly suggest bringing a jacket if you ever go to the American Councils Office conference room. We have to wear them tomorrow when we leave to China because it'll be easier for us to spot each other in the airport. I don't think I missed anything I wanted to say, so I'll just go to sleep. We have to meet at 2:30 AM in the lobby and it's 9:45 PM right now. Can't wait to finally leave to China!


  







1 comment: