Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Around Town


Sorry for the low-quality pictures I've been posting; I'm blogging through email, and the emails won't send when I make the pictures high quality, or evn medium quality. Also, the pictures are supposed to go after what I write, but for some reason it shows up first.

It's been really hot and humid these past few days. Yesterday topped Hangzhou's highest temperature record, which was in 1951. It was 40 degrees Celsius, which is about 104 degrees Fahrenheit.

I've been discovering more and more areas this past week. There's an area a few blocks away from my house that has a mall and a HUGE square outside where little kids rollerblade and many people dance at night. There's also a "night market." It wasn't really a night market, but there was one short lane filled with food stands. The food was amazing. I also attempted to follow the dance steps that the people were performing. There are hundreds of people who come every night to that square to dance and just have fun. I also took a taxi with my friend earlier that day to go back to He Fang Jie and get more stamps, and we ended up sharing a taxi with another man. The man knew how to speak English, so he tried to translate to the taxi driver our destination. I didn't know the exact place I wanted to go, but I knew the street. He then started a conversation with the driver in Chinese, and I understood things like "yea they can't speak Chinese and they're from America," and "ha ha ha they don't even know where they wanted to go." I laughed at that, and then the man turned around and said surprisingly, "You understand Chinese?" My friend and I nodded to that, and he looked embarrassed. He replied with, "You make me feel the awkward." He didn't say anything for the rest of the ride.

I went to a stationary today!!! It was so cheap and had so many things that I wanted to buy. I love Asian stationaries. I can spend several hours just looking in them. I bought lots of pens, ink refills, four notebooks, and three pencil cases. It ended up to be 72 yuan (about $12). It's super cheap, much cheaper than other stationaries I've been to before this one. One pen is about 2-3 yuan, and notebooks are 4 yuan. Some pencil cases are only 5 yuan, and some are 12 yuan (when you think about it it's only $2).

No comments:

Post a Comment