Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

These Past Few Days

My grandmother loves to dance. When I got home, this is what I saw 

>
> It's 10 PM, and I'm leaning on the side of the mosquito net on my bed to receive a better signal of my host family's wi-fi at the moment. We started school yesterday, and I was put in the middle class. Yesterday was really easy, but today I was completely lost during the reading portion of the class. We get three workbooks: phonetics, conversation, and reading. The reading was so hard, or "難" today! It was about the growing population in China, and many of the words used in the story I felt foreign to. There was no ping yin or Zhu in, so when the teacher read, I got lost. He also reads very fast, which doesn't help at all. For homework we have to copy each phrase 3 times, and there are 59 phrases. So basically I'm writing 177 phrases. PHRASES. Not characters. Each phrase is usually two characters. I have two teachers, so that was just one of my homework assignments. I guess I'll get used to this after a while.
>
> Today I walked to different stores near the high school with my American classmates, since we were let out at 2:30 and my host sister doesn't finish school until 4:00. I (again) bought boba milk tea, but this time the milk tea contained boba, popping boba, and pieces of mango. It was deeelicious! Along with that, I got a free coconut jelly dessert. I also bought a few things from the Chinese candy store for my host sister because she has done a lot for me and I need to start giving back. I got her dried mangoes, jelly cups, and Asian fruit snacks. When I went to the cashier, it only turned out to be 6 元 (a little less than a dollar!)!!!
>
> Yesterday, everyone (my classmates and all the host siblings) had dinner together, and afterwards went KTV! (karaoke). It was interesting. The Chinese host siblings knew a lot more English songs than I expected.
>
> Here are a few pictures of what I've been doing the past few days...
>
> Yesterday (7/1/13) my clas went on a bus for a tour around Hangzhou. That is, just looking around Hangzhou on a bus (no getting out). Of course, we'll go out on an actual tour later, but this was just showing us around the area.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment