Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Girls' Day Out

Yesterday I went to a really large shopping area with four of my friends and a host sister. I really liked it because you can bargain there and it reminded me of shopping when I was in Bangkok. There were narrow halls filled with a never-ending array of shops. It took us the whole day to wander around the building (what I would call a mall), and we still didn't see everything. There were stationaries, clothing stores, household materials, shoes, and many other things. When you exit the shopping area, there are little restaurants where you can eat at, and for lunch we ended up having shao long bao. Lunch ended up to be a total of 15.5 元 (under $3!!) and we each paid about 5 元 (under a dollar!!!!). I'm really going to miss how cheap the food is in China when I get back to the US. Haley and her host sister left earlier because they had plans with their family, so it was Christine and Alex who I hung out with for the rest of the day. Christine went to get a haircut, and it was only about 35 kuai! (6 dollars!!). Everytime I went into a store, the shopkeepers always asked if I was Korean. They said that they could tell I'm Chinese by my appearance, but once I try speaking in Chinese, they immediately know I'm a foreigner. I explained about a thousand times that I'm from America even though I look Chinese...or Korean, and Alex and Christine had to do the same. I think after shopping I learned more how to bargain...mostly from Alex. She is a bargaining expert; she won't accept any other higher price than what she states, and the sellers almost always gives in. I know that we get things for a good price because the storekeepers all look irritated afterwards. But yeah...fun day!


one row of hundreds that are filled with clothing stores.
had shao long bao for lunch! 
making shao long bao right in front of us
some Engrish..."How can you foroive f you can't forcet????"

No comments:

Post a Comment